Thursday, February 19, 2015

One Year

I began a whole food plant based vegan no oils program on Feb 19, 2014.  Today marks my one year anniversary of staying on the program.  When I started I weighed 412 pounds.  Today I weigh 341 pounds so I have lost 71 pounds which is about 6 pounds a month.  One of the many benefits of losing weight is that my clothes fit better.  I used to take a size 70 slack and now I take a size 60.  My shirt size was a 7XL and now it is a 4XL.

Another great benefit of the program is the improvement in my health.
My blood pressure was 130/70 and now is 112/70.
My A1c was 8.4 in May and it is now 6.4.
My cholesterol is 144.  The good range is between 0 - 200.
My LDL is 80.  Good range is between 0 -130.
My HDL is 35.  Good range is between 35 - 55.
My triglyceride is 146.  Good range is between 0 - 150.

When I started the program I was taking 11 prescription drugs every day.  The only prescriptions I am now taking are:
Lantus Insulin for my diabetes.
Furosemide water pills for my Congestive Heart Failure

My doctor says my diabetes is under good control.  I used to take 4 shots of insulin every day and check my blood sugars up to 4 times a day.  Now I take one shot of 17 units of lantus insulin when I go to bed and check my blood sugars once in the morning.  It always reads between 70 and 100.

On May 7, 2014 I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation - new onset - SLOW when my heart rate fell to 44 beats a minute.  On the 13th of May I had a pacemaker installed in my chest. I also started taking warfarin to thin my blood.  Since then my A-Fib has stopped and I no longer have to take warfarin.  It is under control partly because of the WFPB program.

I now feel much better than I did before I started the WFPB Regimen.  I am enjoying my new clothes.  I enjoy eating the proper food and look forward to each meal. I have found a new way of life and plan on continuing with it forever (or until I die of old age).

Thanks to all my friends for your recommendations, encouragement and prayers, especially Jane Birch

Forever Strong in Life

Larry Strong

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Larry! It brings me joy to know you are feeling so much better after one year and to know the change has all been worth it. You are an inspiration! I invite others to check out the stories on Discovering the Word of Wisdom: http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, what an inspiration you are! Thank you for sharing your progress. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry,

    Thank you for sharing your story with me at the pool yesterday June 9, 2015. I have also been going to the pool for many years. I love it and believe it a saving grace as well.

    I have seen and visited with you a bit at the pool but was never aware of this remarkable journey of yours. I appreciate your openness with all of us at the pool yesterday and the information you shared due to your research and experience. Thank you also for mentioning this blog that you made because I have found it well written and very interesting, not to mention easy to read and relate to.

    Keep up the good job as you are an inspiration to many and please keep up this beautiful blog even if only an update now and again. The information that you have shared is so useful to many and because of your efforts yesterday and with this blog I am seriously considering the WFPB way to live and thrive.

    Sincerely,

    Carol Parker (a Bowmans buddy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol for your comments to a great pool buddy.

      Delete