Saturday, August 23, 2014

Six Month Report

I began the Whole Food Plant Based Regimen on 24 February 2014.  So I have been following it for six months.  When I started I weighed 412 pounds and I now weigh 350 pounds.  This is a loss of 62 pounds or about 10 pounds a month.  I lost 20 pounds the first month, 10 pounds the second and third month, 8 pounds the fourth and fifth month and 4 pounds the sixth month.  I'm slowing down but I think it may be because of other health problems I am having, or perhaps it is just a plateau.  Nevertheless I am going to stay the course.

TALE OF THE CHANGES
 When I started by neck was 19" and it is now 18".  My chest has gone from 58" to 52" and my shirt size from a 7X to a 4X.   My waist was 70" and is now 60".  My pant size has gone from a 70 to a 60.  I have bought several new shirts and pants to fit me.  Yea!
My blood pressure was 130/70 and now is 102/60.
My A1c was 8.4 in May and it is now 6.6.
My cholesterol is 144.  The good range is between 0 - 200.
My LDL is 80.  Good range is between 0 -130.
My HDL is 35.  Good range is between 35 - 55.
My triglyceride is 146.  Good range is between 0 - 150.

PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS
The only prescriptions I am now taking are:
     Lantus Insulin for my diabetes.
     Furosemide water pills for my Congestive Heart Failure
     Pradaxa blood thinner for my Atrial Fibrillation.
I have stopped taking the following prescription medications:
     Novolog Insulin
     Testosterone shots
     Allopurinol
     Oxybutynon
     Finasteride
     Fexofenadine
     Klor-con potassium supplement
     Azelastine nasal spray
     Dexilant
I am still taking some non prescription medications:
     Tylenol - Two tablets for back pain when I get up each morning.
     Systane eye drops - Every morning for blood shot eyes caused by my water aerobics. 

ATRIAL FIBRILLATION
On May 7, 2014 I was diagnosed wit Atrial Fibrillation - new onset - SLOW when my heart rate fell to 44 beats a minute. I asked my cardiologist if this could be caused by my new diet and he said no.  Just one of the gifts of the Golden Age (fools gold).  On the 13th of May I had a pacemaker installed in my chest.  This controls the low rate but I still had a high rate problem.  So on the 8th of July I had my heart "shocked" which put it back in rhythm.  However, 3 weeks later it was back in a-fib.  So I guess I have to live with it.  It causes me to be a little light headed and I have a loss of energy.

DIABETES
Before I started on my WFPB Regimen I was taking 4 shots of insulin and checking by blood sugars from 2 to 4 times a day.  Dr. McDougall makes recommendations on how to control type 2 diabetes while on the WFPB Regimen (https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm).  So I check my blood sugars each morning when I get up (they currently are running between 70 and 100).  Then I take a shot of Lantus Insulin when I go to bed (I currently take 20 units of Lantus).  My Family Dr. says my diabetes is now in good control and I should keep doing what I am doing.

HOW DO I FEEL
I now feel much better than I did before I started the WFPB Regimen.  However on occasion I do feel a little light headed and sometimes I have a little loss of energy.  I am enjoying my new clothes.  I enjoy eating the proper food and look forward to each meal.  I even occasionally receive comments from friend and family that it looks like I have lost some weight.  So I say I have discovered a new diet and they ask me what it is.  So I tell them.  I have discovered the word of wisdom!

Forever Strong in Life

Larry Strong

    

6 comments:

  1. Greetings, Larry! I so enjoyed this post. Thanks for all the details! I am still chuckling over that last paragraph. How many more Mormons would be blessed by discovering the Word of Wisdom! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really amazing. Keep it up Larry! I love this way of eating and am excited to see it benefit you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Larry! With success like that, why would you ever go back?! Keep going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, this is wonderful! My favorite part is that your cholesterol is now below 150, the "Heart Attack Proof" range according to Dr. Esselstyn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! This is really wonderful. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete