Monday, March 17, 2014

Three Weeks Gone

I have been on the WFPB diet for three weeks.

Last week we went to the grocery store to buy the ingredients for three home prepared meals.  They are from Jeff Novick's fast food list.  The three meals we prepared were Curried Indian Potato Stew, Mexican Beans and Rice and Italian Pasta Primavera.  The meals were pretty good and easy to prepare.  While shopping (at Harmons) we found some of Dr McDougall's soups and bought several of them.  Yesterday we had his split pea soup for lunch and chili bean soup for dinner.   They were OK.  We also found milled flax seed at the store and bought a package.  I now put 2 tbs of flax seed on my cereal each time I have it for breakfast

Wednesday we went to "Taste of India" for lunch,  They have a vegetarian menu with 4 vegan dishes.  http://www.tasteofindiautah.com/food-menu/  I asked the manager if their vegan dishes did not use any vegetable oils, but she said she did not know.  They probably do.  My dish was cooked with thick curry sauce which I did not like.  That evening I got an upset stomach from the curry.  I am not going back.

Saturday we went to dinner at "Cracker Barrel".   I had their vegetable plate.  I ordered a sweet potato, pinto beans, rice pilaf and mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots).  It was very good.  I think the pinto beans had some oil in them.  So next time I am going to order string beans and also have a dry baked potato instead of a sweet potato.  

I discovered a web site called Self Nutrition Data   nutritiondata.self.com.
It is an interesting site.  You can put in any food and it gives all kinds of nutritional data on the food.

This week I have followed Dr McDougall's guide for diabetics.  I had been checking my blood sugar levels up to 4 times a day and taking 4 injections of insulin each day.  He recommends checking your blood sugar levels only once when you get up in the morning and if the reading is between 150 and 200 taking one 10 mm injection of lantus insulin before you got to bed.  So that is what I have done all week.  My blood sugar high reading was 161 and the low was 135.  When it is below 150 I do not need to take a shot.

It has been a good week.  I have more energy and am enjoying the food.  And I am not hungry all the time like a normal SAT diet.

Forever strong in life

Larry Strong




5 comments:

  1. Larry: This is another amazing post! I’m so impressed with the way you are methodically figuring out every aspect of your Word of Wisdom adventure! You’ve found some good information and good resources. I’m most happy that you are not going hungry. Going hungry spells the end for any diet, no matter how effective it is. It is critical to eat enough food, and to try enough variety that you find things you truly love. This will be even easier as your tastes change, and you find even greater enjoyment in the simple plant foods the Lord has designed for our pleasure and nourishment. Bless you!

    Jane, Author of Discovering the Word of Wisdom
    http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Larry! So glad you feeling great and the blood sugars are good. You can't lose this one - you can only win. And you are already a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to read your post, Larry! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a great example! It will work for you, and it will change your life :)

    ReplyDelete