Monday, March 10, 2014

Second Week

It has been an interesting second week of my WFPB DIET.

My cold is pretty much gone.  However I still have my cough and lots of phlegm in my throat and some nasal congestion (a 7 year problem).  I was hoping my eliminating dairy might clear it up but so far no help.

Friday my granddaughter got married in the Salt Lake Temple so we spent all day on wedding activities.  We had a wedding luncheon at the Wight House in Bountiful.  I had a vegetable plate and a salad with no dressing.  Before the reception I went to Rumbi Island Grill and had a rice bowl with vegetables.  However I think they used some vegetable oil in preparing the rice.  At the reception they had strawberry shortcake.  I went in the kitchen and thy made me a plate of just strawberries.  They also had unflavored popcorn and I had a large cup of it.  It was an enjoyable day.

I am eating out at 3 different Chinese buffets.  They all have white rice which I am learning to like.  They also have stir fry.  I checked with the cook and two of them use oil to prepare the stir fry.  So I told them I didn't want any oil so they prepared them with water.  I also have a cup of hot and sour soup but I think it may have some oil in it.  I don't know what to do about that except not have it.  Any suggestions.  Then I also have some fruit for desert.

We prepare our own meals on Sunday so I had cereal, fruit and almond milk, unsweetened for all 3 meals.  I discovered some soups that Dr McDougall sells which are total vegan.  I ordered 6 cans each of hot and sour, split pea and chili.  So I will be having a couple of cans of soup for my meals on Sunday.

Jane Birch sent me an article of Dr McDougall entitled "Simple Care for Diabetes". It is a great article and I am going to follow his advice but I will probably have to change my diabetes doctor because he is doing everything Dr McDougall advises against.  I only check my blood sugar levels when I get up in the morning and if they are over 150 then I take 10 ml of lantus when I go to bed.  I have been doing this for several days and have had to take only 1 shot.

I purchased Jim Novick's fast food DVD and am going to try his 5 main meals.  I am buying the food today after lunch.  However, a caution on his DVD.  I can't watch his two hours of video on my computer because they will only run on a windows XP or lower platform and I have windows 7.

I am feeling very good especially since I am over my cold.  And the food is tasting better every day.  Two more weeks and I will weigh me.

Forever strong in life

Larry Strong




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your courage and commitment, Larry! Important social situations like weddings are probably the MOST difficult situations to handle, especially because the food decisions are mostly out of your hands. You did an amazing job of being aware of the ingredients and picking the best choices you could. I think a lot of people could learn from your example.

    I always encourage people to make sure they are eating enough food every day to not go hungry. This is key to keeping cravings under control. Lots of starches: whole grains, potatoes, starchy veggies, etc.

    I'm glad you are thinking about how to handle the doctor situation. You need a doctor that will support your new approach. The doctor doesn’t need to champion it, but does need to help you succeed on the path you have chosen. Some will, some won't.

    You might check the ingredients of the hot and sour soup before deciding what to do there. Jeff Novick suggests keeping the fat calories to less than 20% of the total calories.

    I especially like the McDougall Split Pea soup!

    Jane Birch, Author of Discovering the Word of Wisdom (http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com)

    ReplyDelete